Monday, December 24, 2007

Crissy Field Christmas

On my way home I was turning left at Crissy field in the lovely dusk light and saw a Great Blue Heron pluck a gopher from the ground. I lept out of my car but was too late. It had already flown to the water, dipped it in, and swallowed it whole.

Above me a Kestrel was hovering, a pair of adult Red-tails sat in the crown of a nearby pine, and the Long-billed Curlew was going through its shrill repertoire of calls. I decided to see what might happen next.

I ended up stalking that Great Blue Heron for 90 minutes. It got dark and I thought about leaving... but didn't. It got cold and stiff fingers made it difficult to make quick adjustments to the settings on my camera. That heron was determined and I decided to wait it out with him. He ended up with a substantial prize and I ended up with some grainy, moody photos... and I learned that getting stabbed in the neck will make your bladder fail. 

Graphic stuff - but the stuff of life.

Merry Christmas.

The safest way to hold your christmas heron.

Curlew up close.

Tipping out of the treetop.

Banking in sunlight. (view this one larger)

In flight with freshly caught prey.

Heading for water to dip the meal, making it easier to swallow.

Stabbed through the neck and trying to pee on the heron. Fighting to the last.

No comments: