Sunday, February 17, 2008

Resolute Owls and Acrobatic Ravens

I staked out the Sutro Burrowing Owl for almost two hours hoping it might hop out for some breakfast and let me get a clear photo. No such luck. For those who might like to know exactly where it lives, I've attached an image of the retaining wall. I trust whoever visits this page already respects and appreciates birds, but I'd be remiss if I didn't ask you to use this info with some discretion so the bird can continue on without being disturbed. Heading to Lake Merced I encountered a Red-tail just off the Great Highway who fended off some Ravens with unique mobbing techniques. Merced was mellow, but as I was leaving an Anna's Hummingbird allowed me a close approach and his flights and stretches made it hard to leave.
Click for a larger version.

Inverted mobbing style. The hawk seemed to be staring in disbelief. The raven swung over and hung upside-down for 40 seconds, vocalizing the whole time. At first it concluded by dropping off the line but after that it would swing back upright after its inverted episodes.

Pouncing on a gopher...

Ending up with a fist-full of iceplant. The gopher got away.

Lake Merced. A Grebe in mid-dive. Click the image to see the red eye on the waterline.

Mallards at rest

Anna's at full stretch.

And again.

Into the mist. The hummingbird departs.

No comments: